Nuffnang Ad

Thursday, December 18, 2014

And the mountains echoed.



AND THE MOUNTAINS ECHOED by Khaled Hosseini
Worth reading: ★★☆ (7/10)
Reason: The flow of the story makes me confusing. Too many characters that seemed unnecessary.

Been too busy for activities recently.
So, this is my first book that I completed so far in my holiday. 
Sad to say that school holidays is going to end soon. 
Hope I could have time to read another 1-2 books. Read faster amoi!

This is my second Khaled Hosseini's.
I deeply in love with his second book which is A Thousand Splendid Suns *Click to read my book review :)* 
The story is so nice and it grips my heart. I recommended it to my bookworm brother and friends and the comments from them were all positive one. 
This makes me so desperate to read the latest book from him!
Thanks for my brother's friend who kindly lend this book to me. =D

Well, I couldn't say this book disappoints me but it is not as good as I expected it would be.
The story is about Saboor's (the Baba jan which means father) family.
 Saboor, an impoverished farmer from the fictional village of Shadbagh, decides to sell his three-year-old daughter Pari to a wealthy, childless couple in Kabul.
He knew this couple because his wife's (the kids' stepmother) brother, Nabi, works as a cook and a chauffeur for them.
And this selling devastates Saboor's ten-year-old son Abdullah who takes care of his sister since their mother passed away.
I thought the story will then develop into the process Abdullah searches for his sister but not.

Yet, it tells you about Pari's adopted family, Mr Wahdati and his wife Nila.
It didn't touch much about how they raise her up but mostly about Nila brings her away to France after Mr Whadati gets stroke. 
And also Mr Wahdati's life after his wife leaves him, about how Nabi takes care of him and the special relationship between them. This part is shown through the letter of Nabi to the new owner of the house Mr Markos after his death.
And then Mr Markos found Pari, who leads a new life in France and doesn't remember anything about her original family and the childhood life in Kabul. Mr Markos shows her the letter from Nabi.
The last part of the story is about Abdullah's daughter, who shares the same name with Pari, finds her aunt Pari and reunites in California. However Abdullah is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and is unable to remember his sister.

There are a lot of characters who I found not directly connected to the main storyline appearing. 
For example Markos and Thalia's story, Bashiri cousin's story and Adel's story.
I found these stories dragged on because what I really concern is the story about Abdullah and her long lost sister Pari. And sad to tell that my English is not as good to understand the inner meaning of those sub stories might tell. It only makes me confusing why suddenly this character pokes out why suddenly that character pokes out. LOL
And the sub stories are all short and sounded incomplete. 
When I finally catch the story of one of the newly-poke-out character, the story just get ended or  it jumps to another new character or point of view. 
The jumps between past and presents simple made me dizzy and confusing. 
I think mostly because my English really sucks. ='(

Somehow, I think I like the starting of this story which is the bedtime story about Baby Ayub sacrifices his favourite youngest son Qais and hands him to the div in order ensure the safety of the whole family.
He chose not to ask for the return of his son at last though he loves him very much because he knew that his son would have a better life there.
This story seemed not related with the main storyline but I think this is actually the 'Hint' of the development of the Saboor's story.

I also love the ending of the story too because the family reunites, though it is sad that Abdullah is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and couldn't recognize his own sister.
It is still good to know that they reunites. LOL ;D

I read about some comments from Goodreads before I blog. 
I'm glad to find that there are a lot of readers out there having the same opinions as mine.
So, at least it makes me feel that my English not that sucks *perhaps* but the middle of the stories really make readers confusing. 
I am still looking forward Khaled Hosseini's next book because the background and the style of his story is always different from other authors.

What should I read next ? ? ?
There is a lot of books in my to-read list like Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, Room by Emma Donoghue, John Green's book and Nora Roberts's book.
Argh, I hope I could have longer holidays!!
But since it is impossible to happen, I think I have to increase my reading speed then.
Grrrrr. Ciao. Good night.
Feeling happy to start a new book when I wake up.
=)

4 comments:

胡扯妹 said...

waaaaa where u get that cute bookmark? xDDD

Jing Chan said...

my very cute junior gave me one. :D
dont envy o! XD

胡扯妹 said...

ewww nvm i'll ask her to give me~~~

胡扯妹 said...

ewww nvm i'll ask her to give me~~~