Nuffnang Ad

Friday, May 30, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars


THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green
Worth reading: ★★ (8/10)
Reason: Hot-seller book and now a major motion picture, so how could you miss it?

I feel glad that I finally have the time to set my mind down and read a nice book.
I know this book through a famous blogger, Daphne's blog. And I decided to read it is because she just couldn't stop recommend this book in her blog and I am curious about how nice this book can be.
I read.

There are some quotes I found meaningful:

1) "The world is not a wish-granting factory."

2) "Without pain, how could we know joy?"

3) "It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing."

The words that the author used in the novel is simple but meaningful. I think one have to read between the lines. I suck. So to be honest, I couldn't understand everything thoroughly because my English ain't really really good. Those who recommended this book might be touched by the words and the meaning inside, but I am actually touched by the story line itself. I found the characters in the story are all so pity.

This book is about two teenagers, Hazel and Augustus, who are having cancer, falling in love.
I really love Augustus, such a sweet guy who tried his best to fulfill Hazel's hope to visit Peter, the author of their favourite book, An Imperial Affliction in Amsterdam though he is already quite sick that time.
The way he talked, the action he done are so so sweet.
*I love reading the flirting part. Girls being girls huh!*

I keep thinking that Hazel would be the one who died first in the end of the story actually since she is so ill. She is the grenade. She got to use the machine to maintain her breathing. So I was really shocked when Augustus told her 'I lit up like a Christmas tree, Hazel Grace. The lining of my chest, my left hip, my liver, everywhere.' It means Augustus is the grenade now. I thought I misunderstood the meaning and reread for twice. I was like why such a lovely guy would get this type of sickness? Ain't he is already cancer free after having one leg amputated?
A lot of Why and W-H-Y in my mind.
I was so down.
I thought he will be alright since there is 80% survival rate for osteosarcoma and maybe the author will give us reader a happy ending, who knows right?
But, as I said there is no miracle in this world.
Ya, Augustus died at last.
*Down down down*

The story line is simple, no really thrilling and exciting part. The tone of the whole book is merely SAD.
What it catches your eyes is the story did connect well.
You would like to know the love story between the little couple in the beginning.
You would like to know whether Hazel did pay a visit to Peter the author in Amsterdam and how is it when they meet.
*The characteristic of Peter the author did shock me too. I thought he is a nice nice man but it turned out to be the opposite.*
And when you still immerse in the romance of Hazel and Gus in Amsterdam, you will be informed that Augustus is badly ill. You just can't let go the book because you would like to know more about what happened to him. And lastly you would like to know whether Hazel could find the last letter from Augustus and what's inside.
In a nutshell, you would have no chance to give up reading this book finding it is boring or what in the middle.

So, I done reading it within 4 nights time.
Don't ask me why didn't I finish it one day, well, I just couldn't and no why alright.
I will definitely entering the cinema when this movie is out!
:)

New book for tomorrow!
:D

No comments: